Sunday, January 31, 2010

Band Intro #4: Matt Evans


If there was ever a "that guy" in the band, Matt Evans is the definition.

BUT that's a good thing. Every band needs that guy: the guy who can lift spirits, lighten the mood at rehearsals (at least when I'm tense), joke around, and most of all have a ton of fun. This is a great unique quality about Matt.

Matt's a senior this year attending "home high school" (homeschool), and is hoping to be enrolled at Cincinnati Christian University, which I believe he'll fit right in. His compassion and his love for others before himself is unique and an excellent quality. If I needed help at this exact moment, he'd be here as soon as possible. He has a love for people and helping people that needs to be shown to the world (maybe it's why he looks like Bono).

I remember going on outreaches with our church, and seeing the look on his face when talking to someone in need. He gives people the time of day and doesn't just pass by or hand out a bottle water to a car. He takes that extra step to pray for them and sit and listen to their story. It's how we even became friends- I had one of those breakdown moments we all get in life, and he listened to my story.


Matt is also a great guitar player. It's somewhat of a "hidden treasure" talent. It wasn't until about a year ago when I figured out he actually was musical, let alone being able to play the guitar. I knew he was artistic and unique from the common man, but the guitar? I've only known him since late 2007/early 2008, and spring of 2009 he tells me he plays the guitar?!

Not only does he play the guitar, but he works with others in the band environment exceptionally well, especially for being new to a band setting. He really does well with people, but he really knows how to fill the space. Now when I say "fill the space", I mean musically, emotionally, performing, and with people. Musically, he'll come up with a really solid strum pattern. Emotionally, he can help pump us up, get us in that mood to perform. In a performing aspect, he can get the audience involved. With people, he can really loosen us all up to not just be a band, but a family.

Thanks Matt, for everything you do in my life, in our band, in others lives! I love you like a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment