Friday, January 15, 2010

One Week and Three Lessons Learned.

Well, the title says it all: One Week.

It's pretty incredible, you know? I mean, I go back in my mind to November, when I had this vision of a show, what the new album will be like, a band, performing, tours, and memories to tell my kids.

I'm proud to say that it's now a reality.

So, there's one week left. Where have we been? What have I learned? Well, I have learned many things throughout the last three months...

Number 1: It's great to have a band.

In the beginning, I was just happy to have people willing to play no matter the circumstances. They take time out of their afternoons and weekends. For example, Larry Handley (drums) works at WCPO 9 Cincinnati from 4:55 a.m. until 1p.m. and then will be at rehearsal until 5p.m., taking time away from his family (and sleep!) Also, Danny Watson (guitar) works part time and goes to school at Cincinnati State, and in between working and school, he somehow gets the time for these rehearsals. Talk about dedication! These guys have stuck with me.
Not only are they committed, but they are all so very talented. They're sort of like hidden jewels... most people never have seen them perform. Some people may not have know they play. Maybe have never had the chance to, but I am very blessed with these people in my band, and in my life.

Number 2: Learning to Micro-Manage.

You know, when you don't have a record company to help you through, there's a lot to think about. Now of course, I had my dad, Jeffrey Sand, and help from friend/ P.R. Director, Hunter Frederick to get everything up on its feet. I obviously have it very good, but I also needed to have a say in every decision and situation. It's definitely a double-sided world: It's about the Logan Sand Band, an image, album designs, t-shirt designs, keeping control of social media outlets (youtube, facebook, logansand.com, this blog), song lists, band rehearsals, writing, composing, creating, selling tickets, ticket design, talking the show up, finding new venues for the future, the tour, buying a band van, rooms on the road, finances, expenses, performing, staying healthy, marketing/advertising the right way, reaching out to a certain demographic, I mean, the list can go on and on to the finest details. Insane right? I know now what it truly means to Micro-Manage.

Number 3: I love what I'm doing.

Though this creation has had rough points throughout it's life, it has been an incredibly exciting and fun journey. At the end of the day, when I lie down in bed, I smile and think, "I love what I'm doing." It is my passion, and my life. It is my joy. My creation. My pride. My work. I am proud of it, and want to show the world. Even though I hope to bring smiles to faces when I play, I know I bring a smile to mine. I love what I'm doing.

Well, one week left. I'll be optimistic, proud, and most of all, have some fun.

I'll leave you with this lyric:
"It's a brand new day, you're not gonna take shit from anyone."

Isn't that sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment