Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Band Intro #6: Jenn Silver


Last but certainly not least, there's one last person I need to tell all of you about: Jenn Silver.

It's really interesting how time flies. All the people you meet throughout your life, and some stay, some leave, some come up sporadically time to time. I can say Jenn has been a friend that's been there for me for almost 3 years.

I met Jenn in December of 2007, knowing only that she was going to sing with me at a church that asked me to play. Little did I know, she had a voice, and that I would be getting the chance to have somewhat of a sister (if you didn't know, I'm an only child).

Throughout 2008, Jenn let me have the opportunity to work on production, from stage, to sound, to lights, she was the one who helped me with all of it. Also, it's the reason I am where I am (CCM E-media, a.k.a. sound/video production). She was not only knowledgeable, but she helped in any way she could, worked overtime, and had fun while learning. It was the best internship any production guru could ask for!

In addition to the production, Jenn also brought me to a new state of songwriting and co-writing. We would sit for hours with GarageBand running, writing songs in such an abstract and unique way. Most people write down lyrics, try to find a rif, a melody, anything and everything. Jenn just plays and sings random words that come to mind... it's a cool process. If you're a musician, I definitely recommend warming up the Apple and simply singing. (FACT: "Searching" off the "New Day!" album was written like this!)

It's interesting and a blessing how much time Jenn has spent with me. Not only with production and co-writing music, but actually being a friend. Being there in some of my worst times, and some of the best. Jenn has been a blessing in my life.

Jenn Silver has a lot of talents. Really, as I'm writing this blog, I keep thinking of more and more things she can do. Graphic Design, light production, sound production, photoshop, websites (both html and flash), playing bass and acoustic guitar, playing the harmonica, AND... most of all, she can sing.

Jenn has a voice of soul. A lot of soul: deep alto blues notes, a lot of 7ths, flats, minors. She also has the talent to find any harmonic part to any piece of music. Let her listen to it once, figure out the words and rhythms, and you have yourself a BGV.

Her and I are like brother and sister, and I love her to death. Jenn, thank you for everything you do.

If you had the chance to make it to the show, you've heard Jenn Silver's music! If not, check out www.jennsilver.com for more sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment